A Podcast Interview with Consulting Marketer Jeff Durocher
When the Bloom Group released its report on The State of Online Publishing in the Consulting Industry a month or so ago, one of the many things that quickly struck me as interesting was the difference between the leaders and laggards in the industry in relation to how they go about content development and promotion.
- Leaders are almost 4X more likely to base their online content on primary research.
- 100% of leaders always rely on marketers to make decisions about what content deserves the most extensive marketing campaigns.
- By contrast, only 50% of laggards give marketing this type of autonomy.
- Leaders generate almost 2X as many inquiries from their online publications as laggards.
The Importance of Focus and Research
After seeing this data, I wanted to hear more first-hand from a marketing leader on how they’re using research to drive their thought leadership marketing efforts. I connected with Jeff Durocher at RHR International — the experts on CEO transition and senior team effectiveness — to discuss this topic in detail.
Originally recorded on 6/14/13, this podcast is 25 minutes long — in it, Jeff and I discuss:
- The powerful effect that narrowing the focus of RHR has had on both marketing and client acquisition.
- The types of research his firm performs to drive BOTH its consulting model and its marketing efforts.
- The 3 biggest challenges facing the professional services marketer today.
- The 3 biggest challenges facing the consulting firm marketer in the next 24 months.